2008 Nobel Prize winner talks neutrons, protons and the future of nuclear power in Mongolia

2008 Nobel Prize recipient in the field of physics Toshihide Maskawa is spending a week lecturing in Mongolia. The following is an interview with him about his time in the country:

-Do you have any other reason for visiting our country besides giving lectures?

-I have come at the request of the Japanese Ambassador to Mongolia, for 40 years there have been diplomatic relations between our nations. I think I have Mongolian heritage, because when I was born I had the blue mark. The Japanese nation is made up of diverse people. People from Mainland China, Siberia, Korea, and Mongolia have migrated to Japan.

I heard it’s very cold in Mongolia, and when I came here the taxi driver told me that the traffic was very bad, and I had the chance to see the city. The temperature reaches -40 C at night and 0 C during the day. The atmosphere is directly influenced by the rapid fluctuation of the temperature. I would like to see the countryside and natural wonders of Mongolia before I leave.

-What contributions did your 2008 Nobel Prize discovery make to science and physics? Can you expand on your discovery?

-People have always wanted to find out what the universe is made up of. We know that the atom is made up of neutrons, protons, and electrons. The particle accelerator has been developed recently and we needed a general theory to explain the particles that were formed by smashing atoms against each other. It was hard to explain the formation of the universe with the three quarks categorization.

In 1972, the theory that there must be three more quarks had been introduced. Theorists accepted this in 1978, but the means to confirm this theory was not available at the time. In 2002 we used a particle accelerator to prove this and in 2008 we received a Nobel Prize. The theory wasn’t proved for 30 years.

The reason for this was that the nucleus inside the quark was much denser than anticipated. The capability of the particle accelerator was not enough to it, which prolonged the research.

-At what age did you receive the Nobel Prize? How many Nobel Prize winners are from Japan?

-Although I started my work when I was 32, I received the prize at 68. There are 15 people in Japan who have received the Nobel Prize.

-Science and technology is developing rapidly, some even say there is little left to discover. What are your thoughts?

-Every new discovery leads to another question. Thus, I think there will always be questions to seek answers to. When a new discovery is made, it takes about a hundred years for it to be implemented. For example Maxwell’s Theory of Electromagnetic Field was introduced in 1864 but it was implemented in 1940, which was 80 years later. So we can deduce from this that it requires about 100 years for scientific theories to become a part of everyday life.

-You will be giving a lecture on Saturday, what do you hope to tell the public?

-On Friday at 11am I will give a physics lecture at the National University of Mongolia titled, “The Chaotic Theory of the Nucleus to the Organized Structure.” This lecture will then be given again at the Culture Center on Saturday at 3pm.

As science becomes ever more sophisticated, particle accelerators will be in higher demand. We need the support of the public. In recent years, people have demanded immediate results after they invest money, but science requires time. The general public needs to know that modern science requires their support.

Also scientists need to know that they can only do their work with the help of the public, so they need to understand that their duty is to inform the public about their discoveries and findings. Giving lectures is also my responsibility and duty.

-Since you are a theoretical physicist, I have to ask you something. Mongolia is planning to build a nuclear power plant. Do you think a nuclear power plant is a good idea, do you think it is compatible with the Mongolian climate?

-The Japanese people are generally against nuclear power plants, but there is a small group who support the idea and I am one of them. I think it is right to talk about nuclear power plants in general. The natural resources for power is believed to end in about 300-500 years time. To remedy this, we have to consider how we would produce power in a condition where no wind or sunlight is available. I’m not saying that the Government shouldn’t regard public opinion but I think it is right to use and develop nuclear energy sources.

If we stop producing power or using cars this issue will not arise. I believe there is a lot of potential in nuclear energy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog